Disclaimer: This page may contain affiliate links. If you buy a product or service through an affiliate link, we may earn a commission but at no additional cost to you. You can view our full affiliate disclosure here.
This product review features the AquaTru Reverse Osmosis Water System.
Designed for use on municipally treated water or a water supply known to be microbiologically safe, the AquaTru applies a 4-stage filtration process which is NSF-certified to remove more than 80 different and potentially harmful contaminants. The end result is highly pure and healthy drinking water for your home.
What’s also great about this countertop filter is that it’s installation-free. Even for someone who is not a gifted do-it-yourselfer, assembling the system takes less than 10 minutes and is really easy.
Sounds like a great deal? Let’s find out more!
AquaTru Review – Main Specs
- Filter stages: 4
- Flow rate: System produces 1 gallon of pure water in 10-15 minutes
- Recovery rate: 80% (only 20 percent wastewater)
- Estimated filter replacement cost per year: $120
- NSF: 42, 53, 58, 401, P473
- System dimensions: 18x18x15 inches, 22.7 Pounds
At the beginning of our AquaTru water filter review, a few highlights:
NSF-Certified Filtration Process
The NSF-certified filtering process removes the vast majority of harmful contaminants from your drinking water. Cheers!
A booster pump speeds up the filtration for plenty of water in no time.
Little Space Required
The compact system doesn’t take up much countertop space.
No installation required; only a quick assembly.
Fast Filter Replacements
Replacing the different filter stages is simple and can be done within a few minutes.
- The AquaTru Reverse Osmosis Water System is super easy to use.
- It doesn’t take up much space on your kitchen counter.
- 4 filter stages: Sediment and activated coconut shell carbon filtration remove sand, rust, and other large suspended solids which prevents clogging of the rest of the system, in addition to chlorine odor and taste (96.6%), chemicals, and organics. The RO membrane rejects 99.1% lead, 97.2% chromium 6, 93.5% fluoride, 96.4% radium, and much more. A carbon block post-filter catches 97.5% PFOA and PFOS, pharmaceuticals, pesticides, and VOCs.
- The system is certified by IAPMO according to NSF/ANSI Standard 42, 53, 58, 401, & P473 for guaranteed reduction of 82 different water contaminants.
- A built-in pressure pump increases water pressure to boost filtration speed. It doesn’t take more than 10 to 15 minutes to process a full gallon of water. At the same time, wastewater production goes down to as little as 0.25 gallons for every gallon of filtered water (standard RO systems waste between 3 and 5 gallons per 1 gallon of purified water).
- The filtered water collects in the removable front tank – great for cooling in the refrigerator – ready for dispensing.
- The brine water is stored in the other tank and can be easily discarded.
- You don’t need any plumbing skills for installing the AquaTru. In fact, the standalone system can be assembled within a few minutes. All in all, great for renters and to save money on professional installation.
- The different filter stages last between 6 months and 2 years. The good news: They are fast to replace with no need for tools and the system will even tell you when so you don’t have to remember. How? The AquaTru tracks your water use. When it’s time for a filter change, the front display will let you know.
- Prices for replacement filters are fair. You should expect to pay around $120 annually.
- All plastic is free from BPS and BPA.
- A 1-year warranty covers the whole reverse osmosis system for defects in materials and workmanship.
- Some people reported about leaking units. Others said their AquaTru just stopped working after a while.
Please note that the following instructions are only a general guideline. Make sure to consult your user manual.
- Before you begin assembling the AquaTru water filter you should thoroughly wash your hands.
- Clean the two water tanks with soap water. Rinse afterwards.
- Open the system’s side panel.
- Unwrap the 3 filter cartridges.
- Install the filters into their respective base (match label numbers and colors). Turn clockwise to lock in place.
- Double-check that the filters are in upright position before closing the side panel.
- Fill the feed water tank with cold water and push it into the system.
- Install the wastewater tank.
- Plug in the unit.
- Activate the switch on the back of the filter system.
- Before using the filtered water, run 4 full feed water tanks through the AquaTru. Meanwhile, check for leaks. The water in the second tank must be discarded after each run. Also, both tanks must be rinsed.
The AquaTru tracks your water use. When it’s time for a filter change, the front display will let you know. Upon replacement, remember to press the filter reset button located on the back of the unit.
Both water tanks should be cleaned once a week with soapy water.
As per the product manual, these are the system contents:
- Side Panel
- Pre/carbon filter
- Reverse osmosis membrane
- VOC carbon filter
- Filtered water tank
- Unfiltered water tank
- Power adapter
- Outlet adapter
AquaTru Water Filter Review – Conclusion
In our opinion, the AquaTru Reverse Osmosis Water System is the best on the market right now.
Thorough testing has shown that it is capable of providing filtered drinking water of exceptional quality – without the need for permanent installation. What’s more, we have ease of use and low waste water production, filtration is fast, and system maintenance is doesn’t require much time nor money.
If you have questions about our AquaTru review please leave a comment below!
- Best Reverse Osmosis Systems: Water Filter Reviews & Guide 2021
- 5 Best Countertop Reverse Osmosis Water Filter Reviews (+ Portable RO Systems)
- 8 Best Countertop Water Filtration System Reviews 2021 + Guide
-  https://www.nsf.org/knowledge-library/standards-water-treatment-systems
-  https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/bpa-alternative-disrupts-normal-brain-cell-growth-is-tied-to-hyperactivity-study-says/2015/01/12/a9ecc37e-9a7e-11e4-a7ee-526210d665b4_story.html
Jason is the founder of Water Masterz and head of content creation. After six years in the industry, he has tremendous knowledge and first-hand experience on all things related to water treatment.
His credo: Not a single American should have to drink unhealthy water at home.