Disclaimer: This page may contain affiliate links. If you buy a product or service through an affiliate link, we may earn a commission but at no additional cost to you. You can view our full affiliate disclosure here.
Fluoride isn’t harmful per se but it can be when people ingest too much of it. And this can be the case with tap water fluoridation which, of course, is not the only source of fluoride in our daily lives.
The main problem with fluoridated tap water is that municipalities cannot trace if a person already exceeds the daily recommended fluoride intake which many of us do, especially our children.
If this is something that concerns you, a fluoride water filter can help you out. Using such as filter you don’t need to worry about fluoride affecting your health any longer.
So, here is our collection of the 10 best fluoride water filter systems!
- 1 Best Fluoride Water Filters – Top Picks
- 2 Best Fluoride Water Filter Reviews
- 2.1 1. Clearly Filtered Water Pitcher with Affinity Filtration Technology
- 2.2 2. Clearly Filtered 3-Stage Under-the-Sink Filter System
- 2.3 3. AquaTru Reverse Osmosis Water Filtration System
- 2.4 4. Crystal Quest Whole House Fluoride Water Filter
- 2.5 5. Big Berkey Water Filter
- 2.6 6. Clearly Filtered Insulated Stainless Steel Filtered Water Bottle
- 2.7 7. Propur ProMax Chrome Shower Filter
- 2.8 8. Clearly Filtered Universal Inline Fridge Water Filter
- 2.9 9. Megahome Countertop Water Distiller
- 3 Fluoride Filter Comparison Chart
- 4 Buying Guide – How to Buy the Best Water Filter for Fluoride
- 5 What is a Water Filter that Removes Fluoride?
- 6 What Are the Different Types of Fluoride Water Filters and How Do They Work?
- 7 How to Remove Fluoride from Water
- 8 Advantages and Disadvantages of Using Fluoride Filters
- 9 How Does Fluoride Get into Our Water?
- 10 How Does Fluoride Affect Our Health?
- 11 The Best Practices for Reducing Our Overall Fluoride Exposure
- 12 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- 13 Conclusion
Best Fluoride Water Filters – Top Picks
Best Fluoride Water Filter Reviews
The order of the following fluoride water filter reviews is deliberate. Our favorite products are at the top.
1. Clearly Filtered Water Pitcher with Affinity Filtration Technology
In our opinion, the best fluoride water filter in 2021 is the Clearly Filtered Water Pitcher with Affinity Filtration Technology. Apart from removing at least 96.9% fluoride, the unit is also tested against 5 NSF standards for the reduction of more than 230 other water contaminants, making it our #1 water filter pitcher overall.
- Price: $
- Removes: 96.9% fluoride
- Filtering capacity: 100 gallons of water or 4 months
- Water storage volume: 10 cups
- The Clearly Filtered water filter pitcher provides great-tasting drinking water free from unpleasant odors.
- Affinity filtration technology combines granular activated carbon and several proprietary filter media. Technology is tested to remove more water contaminants than any other water filter pitcher we know: 99.9% chlorine and chloramine, 99.5% lead, 96.9% chromium 6, 99.6% arsenic, 99.9% bacteria, up to 99.9% pesticides and herbicides, 99.9% of different pharmaceuticals, up to 99.9% VOCs, and most importantly 96.9% fluoride (among other things).
- NSF/ANSI standards 42, 53, 244, 401, and P473 were met in independent lab testing.
- Healthy minerals in the water are preserved.
- The pitcher has sufficient water storage volume for family use.
- The lid is removable for easy refilling. A water dam allows for pouring without spilling. All in all, the pitcher is easy to use.
- Medical-grade Tritan plastic doesn’t leach BPA or other substances showing hormone activity into your water. This also preserves the pristine taste and odor of the pure water.
- One filter cartridge lasts for around 100 gallons. This is a lot in the realm of pitcher filters.
- You get a 30-day money-back satisfaction guarantee.
- The product is warranted for lifetime.
- Make sure to subscribe to receiving filters and buy in bulk. Otherwise, the replacement cost can be pretty high depending on your water quality and the amount of water you use on a daily basis.
- A few people complained about slow filtration and clogged filters.
2. Clearly Filtered 3-Stage Under-the-Sink Filter System
In our opinion, the #1 under sink water filter for fluoride filtration in 2021 is the Clearly Filtered 3-Stage. As with the company’s water filter pitcher, the 3-stage under-the-sink filtration system removes more than 90 percent fluoride, 99.5% to be precise.
This in addition to the reduction of hundreds of other water contaminants and the superb pure water taste make the unit our number one under sink water filter overall.
- Price: $$
- Removes fluoride: 99.5%
- Filtration capacity: 2,000 gallons or 12 months
- Independent testing against NSF/ANSI standards 42, 53, and 401 has shown that the water filter system effectively removes fluoride, lead, chromium 6, arsenic, disinfectants like chlorine and their byproducts, pesticides and herbicides, PFAS, and much more. Healthy drinking water is guaranteed.
- Three stages of filtration apply granular activated carbon and 2 proprietary filter media blends to reduce many different types of water contaminants.
- Stainless steel hoses are used for longevity.
- The system features an inline design which is easy to install. There is no need to hire a plumber for the non-permanent installation, even if you are not a DIYer.
- Each of the three filter stages has a capacity of 2,000 gallons or 12 months. What’s more, thanks to their modular design you can replace the filter elements without tools within a few minutes. Thus, system maintenance is a piece of cake.
- As with all products from the manufacturer, this under sink unit comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- A lifetime warranty provides peace of mind.
- Most people see a drop in water pressure of about 20%. That’s simply because thorough filtration requires a long contact time between water and filter media.
- Replacement filters aren’t cheap, but they’re worth every penny.
3. AquaTru Reverse Osmosis Water Filtration System
We chose the AquaTru reverse osmosis system as our favorite countertop fluoride filter because it’s one of the few actually tested and certified for fluoride reduction. Reduction rate: 93.5% according to NSF/ANSI standard 58.
On a side note, this is also our #1 reverse osmosis system overall.
- Price: $$
- Fluoride removal: 93.5%
- Capacity: Filters will last 6 months to 2 years
- The AquaTru applies a 4-stage filtration process certified against NSF standards 42, 53, 58, 401, and P473 for highest filtration effectiveness. The performance data sheet lists more than 80 water contaminants that will be removed including fluoride, lead, radium, TDS, cyst, volatile organic compounds, chlorine, and PFOA & PFOs. The end result is highly clean drinking water safe for consumption.
- For pre-filtration, a sediment and activated carbon filter combo is used. It traps large particulates to protect the other filter stages from clogging and also removes bad taste and odor as well as harmful chemicals and organic water contaminants. The reverse osmosis membrane rejects the majority all remaining heavy metals, salts, and minerals. This is followed by a carbon post-filter to adsorb leftover chemicals and further improve water aesthetics.
- A water pressure pump increases filtration speed and lowers the ratio of filtered to waste water. The system can process 1 gallon of water in 10-15 minutes. Only 20 percent goes to waste.
- The clean water tank features convenient one-button dispensing and can be removed for cooling.
- Any reject water collects in a second tank in the back and can be disposed.
- The AquaTru countertop RO system is not only easy to use, as a standalone unit it’s also easy to install and maintain. Initial setup takes less than 5 minutes and doesn’t involve drilling or plumbing. Changing the filter stages every 6 months to 2 years goes even quicker.
- The water system will tell you when it’s time for a new filter. This way you don’t need to remember the date of the last replacement.
- All materials are free from BPA and BPS.
- The product warranty is valid for 1 year.
- In a few cases the reverse osmosis system started to malfunction several months after purchase.
- A design flaw may cause leaking.
4. Crystal Quest Whole House Fluoride Water Filter
If you’re looking for a whole house fluoride water filter we recommend the Crystal Quest. At 90 to 95 percent fluoride removal, it’s highly effective at providing almost fluoride-free water for an entire home.
- Price: $$$$
- Reduce fluoride: 90.0-95.0%
- Filtration capacity and flow rate depend on which system size you choose
- CQE-WH-11630: 750,000 gallons, 9-11 gallons per minute (1-4 bathrooms)
- CQE-WH-11640: 1,000,000 gallons, 10-13 gpm (4-6 bathrooms)
- The Crystal Quest whole house fluoride water filtration system was designed for tap water systems containing inorganic fluoride.
- 5-micron pre-filter protects large media tank from sand, rust, and other large sediments.
- The fluoride removal tank uses bone char, a granular filter media based on activated charcoal. Bone char reduces fluoride in water both chemically and through adsorption. Another benefit is that it also helps to filter arsenic, mercury, and lead.
- KDF is added into the mineral tank to control bacteria.
- As a post-filter stage, a coconut-shell based carbon filter block is used to improve taste and odor mainly through filtering organic and potentially harmful chemicals.
- The control valve initiates automatic backwashes. This increases the life of the fluoride filter media to roundabout 1,000,000 gallons, depending on the quality of water in your home.
- You can upgrade the fiberglass tanks to stainless steel for longevity.
- The system is no more difficult to install than any other whole house filtration system.
- If it was not for the pre-filter and post-filter, the whole house filter would be maintenance-free for as long as ten years. But don’t worry, the sediment filter lasts up to 2 years and the carbon filter between 12 and 18 months.
- Crystal Quest warranty is valid for one year.
- Requires a higher initial investment, but maintenance cost is kept at a bare minimum.
5. Big Berkey Water Filter
Of all Berkey gravity water filters the Big Berkey is the most popular removing 97% fluoride when used right. In addition, the system filters dozens upon dozens of other water contaminants including lead, arsenic, and chromium – all according to NSF/ANSI standard 53.
All in all, it’s our favorite gravity-fed water filter on the market.
- Price: $$
- Fluoride reduction: 97.0%
- Filter capacity: 3,000 gallons or 3 years, PF-2 fluoride filters will last 1,000 gallons
- Users are more than happy with their purchase. They love how their tap or well water tastes after it was filtered using a Berkey filtration system.
- We consider the Big Berkey gravity filter to have the perfect size for home use by families of 4. Basically, large storage tank volume meets fast filtration. The result: Long waiting times are avoided and you don’t need to refill water too often.
- The long-lasting Black Berkey filters remove a long list of contaminants: Chromium 6, arsenic, lead, mercury, cadmium, cyst, bacteria and viruses, several pharmaceuticals, chlorine taste and odor, chloramine, sediment, etc. All healthy minerals are preserved.
- For most effective fluoride filtration you need to add the optional PF-2 filters.
- Both water tanks are 304 food-grade stainless steel which means durability and safety of your drinking water.
- A rubber casket prevents surface scratching.
- Generally speaking, gravity-fed water filters are easy to assemble, use, and maintain. This also goes for the Big Berkey.
- A lifetime guarantee covers the entire unit.
- With the additional fluoride water filters, maintenance costs are slightly higher than average.
- The water dispenser can be prone to leaking.
- Occasional re-priming of the Black Berkey filters may be required to ensure steady water flow.
6. Clearly Filtered Insulated Stainless Steel Filtered Water Bottle
In its category, the Clearly Filtered Insulated Stainless Steel Filtered Water Bottle is our top recommendation for removing fluoride (up to 99.9%). But the filter water bottle is not just for filtering fluoride. It’s equally effective against a wide range of other contaminants! Our #1 filter water bottle.
- Price: $
- Fluoride reduction: 99.0-99.9%
- Filter capacity: 25 gallons or 160 fill-ups
- If you want clean and great-tasting drinking water this filter bottle is it.
- Affinity filters remove far more than 200 contaminants including fluoride, chlorine and chloramines (99.9%), lead (99.9%) pesticides and herbicides (99.9%), and volatile and semi-volatile compounds (up to 99.9%). All reduction rates have been confirmed by EPA-accredited laboratories. Conducted testing met NSF standards 42, 53, and 401.
- The insulated stainless steel water bottle is easy to use. Just fill it up and suck clean drinking water through the filter straw.
- The bottle is double-wall insulated for up to 24 hours of cooling and very high in quality as a whole.
- You can choose from different color designs.
- Alternatively, there is a Tritan and a glass water bottle. All materials are free from BPA, BPS, and phthalate to avoid recontamination.
- A 30-day satisfaction guarantee allows you to return the bottle for a full refund.
- The lifetime warranty has you covered in case something is not as it’s supposed to be.
- In the beginning, drinking may require strong suction, but the filters become less restrictive quickly.
7. Propur ProMax Chrome Shower Filter
In our opinion, the one shower filter best suited for fluoride filtration is the Propur ProMax. That said, the filter is tested to reduce no more than half of the fluoride content. Right now, this is as good as it gets.
- Price: $
- Fluoride reduction: 48.0%
- Filter life: 6-9 months
- Flow rate: 2 gallons per minute
- The Propur ProMax makes use of 4 propriety filter layers.
- Testing according to NSF standards 42 and 53 has shown the removal of 200+ water contaminants for cleaner and healthier shower water. Here is an excerpt from the lab analysis: Chlorine 57.1% reduction, chloramine 71.0%, sodium fluoride 48.2%, arsenic 28.0%, chromium 28.8%, lead 61.1%.
- As you can see, fluoride and other reduction rates are nowhere near the 90 percent mark, but it’s still the best performing shower water filter we know of.
- At 2 gpm water flow rate you shouldn’t see a drop in water pressure when installing the filter.
- Choose from a total of 5 different spray settings.
- Choose from 4 different finishes to match your bathroom décor (white, chrome, antique bronze, brushed nickel).
- All materials are BPA-free.
- Filter installation is simple enough even if you’re not handy with tools. The same applies to replacing the filter cartridge which last 6-9 months each – easy!
8. Clearly Filtered Universal Inline Fridge Water Filter
For those of you looking for an inline filter to get rid of fluoride we recommend to check out the Clearly Filtered Universal. An average 99.5% fluoride reduction make the unit perfectly suited for this purpose which can also be used to filter the water before it enters your refrigerator.
- Price: $
- Fluoride reduction: 99.5%
- Filter capacity: 365 gallons of water
- This inline water filtration system fits behind any refrigerator with ease.
- It works with all fridge models that feature a quarter-inch water line.
- As far as the filtration is concerned, more than 230 tap water contaminants can be filtered according to NSF testing (standards 42, 53, and 401). Activated carbon adsorbs chlorine taste and odor, chloramine, pesticides, and all kinds of organics. The following filter media layer targets sodium fluoride, arsenic, aluminum, volatile compounds, lead, emerging contaminants, and more.
- Thanks to push fittings, the easy installation can be done by anyone with a screwdriver.
- A braided stainless steel line can be added to the package for compatibility. The delivery also includes all mounting supplies.
- The long-lasting filters keep maintenance requirements at a minimum.
- The company offers a 30-day trial period.
- The warranty is valid throughout the entire lifetime of the product.
- The price is considerably more than what you have to pay for competitor models.
9. Megahome Countertop Water Distiller
The Megahome water distiller is among the cream of the crop. This not only applies when it comes to fluoride filtration. Water distillation in general provides the purest water of all water purification methods. We cannot give you an exact reduction rate for fluoride, but expect it to be well above 90 percent.
- Price: $$
- Fluoride reduction: ?
- Water production: 1 gallon of distilled water every 5½ hours
- The Megahome water distiller is simple to use and doesn’t require installation. You simply fill water into the boiling chamber and hit start. Purifying one gallon of water takes around 5-and-a-half hours.
- The distilled water collects in a glass container which prevents recontamination.
- Activated carbon filter sachets adsorb volatile substances that might survive the distillation process. Enough sachets for the first 6 months are included in the package.
- Water touches nothing but stainless steel, ceramic, and glass.
- The unit meets UL safety standards.
- You get a one-year warranty on the water distiller on top.
- You cannot turn off the Megahome MH943SBS with a switch. The boiling continues until all water has evaporated. This may cause burned deposits on the stainless steel.
Fluoride Filter Comparison Chart
How do the best fluoride water filter systems perform when directly compared to each other?
|Fluoride Water Filters||$$$||Fluoride Reduction||Filter Life||Best For||Details|
|CF Water Filter Pitcher||$||96.9%||100 gal||#1 Fluoride Water Filter Pitcher||Pitcher Filter Removes 230+ Contaminants|
|CF 3-Stage Under-the-Sink||$$||99.5%||2,000 gal||Ideal to Remove Fluoride and Many Other Contaminants||3-Stage Water Filtration|
|AquaTru RO System||$$||93.5%||6 months to 2 years||One of the Best Water Filters That Remove Fluoride||4-Stage Water Filtration, RO Filter Removes Majority of Contaminants|
|Crystal Quest Whole House Fluoride Filter||$$$$||90.0-95.0%||750,000-1,000,000 gal||Best Overall for Point-of-Entry Filtration||Provides Fluoride-Free Water in Your Entire Home, Maintains High Water Pressure|
|Big Berkey Gravity Water Filter||$$||97.0%||3,000/1,000 gal||One of Our Top Picks for Producing Drinking Water|
|CF Filter Bottle||$||99.0-99.9%||25 gal||#1 Filter Bottle|
|Propur ProMax||$||48.0%||6-9 months||Best for Moderate Fluoride Levels|
|CF Universal Inline Filter||$||99.5%||365 gal||Inline Fluoride Filtration||Filters Water On-Demand|
|Megahome Water Distiller||$$||?||–||Distilled Water|
Buying Guide – How to Buy the Best Water Filter for Fluoride
NSF Certifications to Reduce Fluoride
The most important thing you need to keep in mind when shopping for a fluoride water filter is to look out for NSF certifications. You should make sure that a certain filtration system was tested or even better certified according to NSF Standard 53 for fluoride removal. In this case, you will find a specific fluoride reduction rate somewhere in the performance data sheet or product manual.
For RO systems like the AquaTru you may need to check for NSF standard 58. This doesn’t really make a difference. It’s just that standard 58 was established for reverse osmosis filters specifically.
NSF testing and certifications allows you to compare different water filters that remove fluoride to one another and see which ones are most effective.
Testing for Other Contaminants in Your Water Supply
It’s highly unlikely that your water source contains nothing but fluoride. There exist literally hundreds if of contaminants in our water systems these days. That’s why we recommend you to do a thorough analysis of your water source. The insights you gain from this will allow you to make the best buying decision.
That said, you might not need to do your own testing. If you are on tap water you can take a look at your latest water quality report. Each water utility has to provide one for free – on a yearly basis. Alternatively, consult the EWG Tap Water Database which is a collection of water quality reports published in recent years in the United States.
Both sources should list all the different contaminants that were found in your water supply and that might still be present. The only downside is that water providers aren’t required to test for every single water contaminant known today, so you might not get a complete picture.
That’s the advantage of doing your own testing or hiring a laboratory: With the latter in particular you aren’t limited by the number of contaminants you can test for, provided that you have a large budget.
Once you know what you’re dealing with you can go out and try to find the ideal filtration system. Remember: NSF testing and certifications are key.
Type of Filter
The types of water filters that remove fluoride are manifold. We’re going to discuss every single one of them in detail below, but here’s a brief overview:
- Water pitcher filters
- Under sink water filtration systems
- Reverse osmosis systems
- Countertop water filters
- Whole house water filters
- Gravity water filter systems
- Filter water bottles
- Shower filters
- Inline water filters
- Water distillers
Not suited for removing fluoride are faucet-mount filters. Shower filters aren’t the most effective either.
Is it difficult to install a fluoride water filtration system? Not necessarily. However, this depends on the type of water filter you choose.
Water distillers, filter bottles, gravity filter systems, and water filter pitchers don’t require installation at all. Inline water filters, shower filters, and countertop water filters can usually be hooked up within a few minutes. Under sink systems and whole house water filters are different. Depending on your skills and prior experience as a do-it-yourselfer you might require a helping hand completing the installation.
Replacement Filter Lifespan
A filter’s capacity determines how often you need to replace it. A longer service life is better, obviously. It’s more affordable and requires less work.
Cost (Short-Term vs. Long-Term)
Is a more affordable water filtration system really always the better option? We don’t think so! You need to weigh the short-term savings against the long-term expenses. Or in other words: A cheap water filtration system might require more frequent filter changes. And if the filters are overpriced you might end up spending much more over time than you would have if you had invested more upfront.
What is a Water Filter that Removes Fluoride?
As the name suggests, a water filter that removes fluoride can be used to filter fluoride in your water. There exist different types of filters applying different filter methods. Most effective are reverse osmosis purification, strong-base ion exchange, adsorption through activated alumina, and water distillation.
The #1 advantage of using a fluoride filter is that you don’t need to worry about it affecting your health any longer. And chances are that your drinking water will be of much higher quality overall and better-tasting.
What Are the Different Types of Fluoride Water Filters and How Do They Work?
Water filters that remove fluoride come in different designs and sizes. They can be categorized into:
Water Filter Pitchers
Water filter pitchers are great for providing drinking water and water used for cooking. Several models currently on the market are tested/certified to remove fluoride.
Under Sink Water Filters
Under sink filters go under the kitchen sink connecting to the cold water line. They are equally effective at removing fluoride as filter pitchers. Their advantage, however, is that they can much more water at much faster.
There are two types of reverse osmosis systems: Under sink and countertop units. Both use multiple filter stages for broad contaminant removal including fluoride. The most important filter element is the semipermeable RO membrane.
Whole House Water Filters
Whole house water filters are the only type of water filter that process all incoming water in a home. This provides you with pure water at every single outlet. That said, whole house filtration systems that are capable of removing fluoride on a large scale are rare.
Countertop/Gravity Water Filters
Just like kitchen sink systems, most countertop water filters are reliable when it comes to removing fluoride. This includes gravity filtration systems like the Big Berkey reviewed above.
Filter bottles usually don’t target fluoride, and yet some do. The water gets filtered on demand as you suck it through the mouthpiece.
Finding a fluoride shower filter turned out to be really difficult. The only reasonable solution that partly met our criteria is the Propur ProMax with 48% fluoride removal.
Inline and Refrigerator Water Filters
Inline and refrigerator water filters are space-saving and consist of a single cartridge. That’s why most won’t remove fluoride. Fortunately, the Clearly Filtered Universal Inline Fridge Water Filter is different.
Distilled water is about as pure as water can be. The distillation process removes almost all impurities from water including fluoride.
Faucet-Mount Water Filters
As mentioned earlier, faucet water filters aren’t designed to reduce fluoride in your drinking water.
How to Remove Fluoride from Water
There exist four water treatment methods suited for the removal of fluoride from water at home:
- Reverse osmosis – Reverse osmosis filtration is one of the most effective fluoride filtration methods. The semipermeable membrane rejects more than 90% of the salt.
- Water distillation – Water distillers provide a very effective way of removing fluoride.
- Activated alumina adsorption – Activated alumina is a highly porous material that can be used as a filter for fluoride and arsenic. Thereby, the amount of fluoride reduced depends on contact time. Other factors are water temperature and water pH.
- Bone char – Bone char has high fluoride absorption capacities.
Strong base anion exchange water purification is also suited for fluoride filtration but can only be found in industrial applications.
For more details continue reading here: How to Remove Fluoride from Water
Advantages and Disadvantages of Using Fluoride Filters
- The main advantage is that your drinking water will be freed from most of the fluoride it once contained.
- It is inevitable that a solid water filtration system removes fluoride in addition to other contaminants.
- The water in your home will be healthier, better-tasting, and odor-free.
- Buying, installing, and servicing a fluoride filter isn’t over-the-top expensive, even if you buy a whole house water filtration system.
- Filter or system maintenance doesn’t require much effort.
- Most water filters lack NSF testing and certification for fluoride reduction.
- The selection of POE fluoride water filters is rather limited.
How Does Fluoride Get into Our Water?
Fluoride gets into our water supply through water fluoridation which means it’s deliberately added. The reason behind this is that fluoride helps to prevent tooth decay, a fact that has been proven multiple times in empiric studies.
Whether or not fluoride in drinking water really makes sense is still up for debate. Many countries over the world don’t practice water fluoridation and still saw substantial decline in cavities over the last decades.
How Does Fluoride Affect Our Health?
Many Americans, children in particular, exceed the daily recommend intake for fluoride. That’s because fluoridated water is not our only source of exposure. There also is fluoridated toothpaste, salt, and milk.
What’s more, fluoride can also be found in drugs, processed food, and even cookware.
The good news is that only about 50 percent of the fluoride we ingest gets stored. The remaining half is flushed out via urine. Still, too much fluoride can cause several health issues:
To begin with, fluoride intoxication can only occur under sustained consumption of large amounts of soluble fluoride. The lethal dose for adults is between 32-64 milligrams of fluoride per kilogram body weight.
Most known cases of fluoride intoxication result from accidental ingestion of dental fluoride products. In the past, pesticide ingestion was the root of the problem more often than not.
Skeletal Fluorosis and Dental Fluorosis
More than 90 percent of the fluoride our body absorbs ends up in our bones and teeth. Skeletal fluorosis with symptoms including joint stiffness and pain, and dental fluorosis are therefore often the consequence of long-term fluoride overconsumption.
Neurological Health Problems
A small part of the absorbed fluoride gets stored in soft tissue, first and foremost our pineal gland and brain. This can lead to calcification. Fatigue and sleep disorders are often the result.
Another possible health effect of high fluoride exposure over a long time is hypothyroidism. Hypothyroidism means our thyroid gland is suppressed in its entire function. Thyroid-stimulating hormone levels in our blood increase, while T3/T4 hormone concentrations go down.
The Best Practices for Reducing Our Overall Fluoride Exposure
To reduce fluoride from the water you drink is a good start. But there is more you can do:
- Switch to non-fluoridated salt.
- Eat fresh instead of processed foods. Every food processing step may add more fluoride, for example due to the use of fluoridated water, salt, and preservatives.
- Eat organic foods. Many pesticides applied in conventional agriculture contain fluoride which ends up in our fruits and vegetables.
- Reduce the amount of coffee as well as black and green tea you consume. Some coffee species are high in fluoride. The same goes for most black and green tea brands.
- Use fluoride-free toothpaste.
- Try to avoid drugs containing fluoride if possible.
- Switch to non-coated cookware. Teflon is almost pure fluoride.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Does boiling water remove fluoride?
No, you can’t boil fluoride out of water.
Do water softeners remove fluoride?
A water softener provides soft water. The softening process has not effect on fluoride concentrations in water.
What are the top brands for water filters that remove fluoride?
Our favorite brands for water filters that remove fluoride are listed above.
Does Brita, PUR, ZeroWater, or LifeStraw remove fluoride?
PUR and Brita water filtration systems are ineffective against fluoride. That’s because both Brita and PUR water filters are based on activated carbon. LifeStraw is for reducing microorganisms. The ZeroWater shines with 99 percent average fluoride reduction.
Do reverse osmosis systems filter fluoride?
Yes, a reverse osmosis system does filter fluoride. The purified water is exceptionally clean.
A water filter to remove fluoride can make a valuable addition to your home. You just need to choose one suited for your water quality and needs. Our first choice for point-of-entry applications is the Crystal Quest. It’s one of the best fluoride water filters. If you want a water filter pitcher we recommend the Clearly Filtered Pitcher. We also recommend the company for people who are interested in under sink fluoride water filters. If you like reverse osmosis systems, check out the AquaTru.
If you have any questions about these or any other fluoride filters please leave a comment below!
- Collection of the 7 Best Countertop and Portable Reverse Osmosis Water Filter Systems
- Countertop Water Filter Reviews
- Best Lead Water Filter Reviews in 2021
- Water Masterz Lead Removal Guide
-  https://www.cdc.gov/safewater/ceramic-filtration.html
-  https://www.americashealthrankings.org/explore/annual/measure/water_fluoridation/state/ALL
-  https://iaomt.org/resources/fluoride-facts/fluoride-toxicity-exposure-effects/
-  https://www.boostthyroid.com/blog/2018/4/13/fluoride-and-the-thyroid
-  https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-causes/water-fluoridation-and-cancer-risk.html
Jason is the founder of Water Masterz and head of content creation. After six years in the industry, he has tremendous knowledge and first-hand experience on all things related to water treatment.
His credo: Not a single American should have to drink unhealthy water at home.