Disclaimer: This page may contain affiliate links. If you buy a product or service through an affiliate link, we may earn a commission but at no additional cost to you. You can view our full affiliate disclosure here.
This product review features the Crystal Quest Thunder countertop portable reverse osmosis system.
Heading out for a road trip in your RV? Or do you just need a portable reverse osmosis system because you move to different places for work? The Crystal Quest Thunder has got you sorted with its compact design and multi-stage filtration.
The countertop RO system is the perfect setup for people who don’t want a permanent installation and would rather opt for a version they can move around. But is it as good as a regular under sink unit, or are there any shortcomings? Let’s find out.
Crystal Quest Thunder Countertop/Portable RO System Review – Main Specs
- Filter stages: 10
- Flow rate: 0.3 gallons of water per minute
- Estimated filter replacement cost per year: $100
- System dimensions: 16x7x7 inches
- Minimum required water pressure: 45 psi
At the beginning of our Crystal Quest Thunder review, a few highlights:
The reverse osmosis system has ten filtration stages, purifying the water sufficiently for drinking.
- The first, third, fifth and tenth stage is a 1-micron filter pad that blocks any solid sediments, cryptosporidium cysts, and giardia from entering your drinking water.
- Meanwhile, the second stage has granular activated carbon that filters chlorine, herbicides, VOCs, pesticides and other chemicals, leaving your drinking water free of foul odor, taste and anything that could be detrimental to your family’s health.
- The fourth stage holds the RO membrane. Therefore, it’s at this point that most organic and inorganic components are removed, including arsenic, nitrate and lead.
- Furthermore, the sixth and seventh stages use zinc-copper oxidation media to further lower the levels of hydrogen sulfide and metals like chromium and iron. Moreover, these filtration stages also prevent bacteria from accumulating.
- Moving on, the eighth stage of filtration employs an ion exchange resin to remove heavy metals and lower water hardness by ridding it of scale.
- Even better, the Crystal Quest Thunder has another activated carbon filter that removes anything that has been left behind in the previous stages. In this way, the system ensures there’s nothing remaining in the water that could harm your health or ruin its taste or smell.
No Complex Installation
You can hook this system to any standard kitchen faucet and take it off easily without a complex installation. The whole process will only take two minutes or even less, saving you a ton of hassle.
This is the filter’s USP. At 16” x 7” x 7”, it’s small and also lightweight. Combined with the quick installation process you get a reverse osmosis system that’s highly portable.
- The Crystal Quest Thunder is pretty simple to install and use. All you have to do is connect it to your kitchen faucet, and it will filter the water coming through it.
- Apart from everything else, the most attractive feature of the unit is its portability. Since you can move the unit around anywhere, it’s perfect for your RV trips, too.
- Moreover, the RO system only measures 16x7x7, so it will fit easily in any cabinet. Space constraints will not limit your usage of this water filter.
- You can order additional filter cartridges for different particles, such as fluoride, arsenic and nitrates. Thus, you can choose to customize the countertop reverse osmosis system according to the contaminants in your drinking water.
- To ensure peak functioning, you need to replace the filter elements before they exceed their lifespan. However, unlike most other filters, replacement cartridges are quite cheap, costing you around $100 annually.
- The company offers a one-year warranty.
- Although on the company’s website, it says that the parts of the Crystal Quest Thunder are NSF-certified, there’s no actual certificate to prove this. Plus, there is no data from any tests or individual inspections either.
- It would be better if the company provided a reduction rate for contaminations, but the information is also missing on the website.
- There’s no pump so filtered water flow is slow.
As mentioned above, installing the Crystal Quest Thunder is quite simple. You also get all the required supplies + instruction manual in the box. Here’s how to attach it to a faucet for use:
- Remove the aerator from your kitchen faucet.
- If you need an adapter, attach it. Otherwise, move on to the next step.
- Screw the diverter to your kitchen faucet and make sure it’s tight.
- Then, tighten the hose to the diverter using the clamp.
- Finally, slide the spout into the housing.
Check this video for additional guidance.
Like any other reverse osmosis system, this one also needs to be maintained. Make sure you replace the filter elements regularly so that they work to the best of their ability.
If you do not replace them, they will get clogged and expire over time. As a result, your drinking water will be murky, smelly, or even worse, filled with contaminants.
The activated carbon cartridge expires in 12 to 18 months, while the SMART filter and reverse osmosis membrane last up to three years.
Do keep in mind that the lasting ability of the Crystal Quest Thunder also depends on your usage and the number of contaminants in the water. Thus, if you notice a bad smell or taste, make sure to replace the different filter stages.
If you’ve attached any additional cartridges to the RO system, such as those for arsenic and fluoride, make sure you replace them in a timely manner too.
Here’s what you will find inside the Crystal Quest Thunder package:
- A reverse osmosis membrane
- Granular activated carbon filter cartridge
- SMART filter
- Faucet adapters
- Shut-off valve
Crystal Quest Thunder Review – Conclusion
Equipped with ten filtration stages and a portable design, the Crystal Quest Thunder Portable Countertop Reverse Osmosis System is perfect for people who want something easy-to-use yet effective for their homes or RVs.
Moreover, the RO system has low annual maintenance cost and comes with a year-long warranty, making it a good choice as compared to many other water filters.
So, if you’re moving into a dorm room, a new apartment or want to travel around the country, get your hands on this.
If you have questions about our Crystal Quest Thunder countertop RO system review please leave a comment below!
- Home Reverse Osmosis Systems Reviewed
- Portable Reverse Osmosis Water Filter System Reviews
- Countertop Water Purifier Reviews
-  https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/giardia/index.html
-  https://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/dwq/chemicals/nitratenitrite2ndadd.pdf
Lisa has joined the Water Masterz team as a contributing writer. She combines two decades of digital marketing experience with a passion for healthy living.
Lisa’s favorite leisure activities are meeting new people, learning new stuff, and yoga.