Disclaimer: This page may contain affiliate links. If you buy a product or service through an affiliate link, we may earn a commission but at no additional cost to you. You can view our full affiliate disclosure here.
There could be tons of contaminants lurking in your water supply without you even knowing.
Luckily, water filter pitchers offer a simple solution to eliminate impurities and access healthy drinking water. They are portable, compact, and only need occasional servicing.
Then there are also alkaline filter pitchers.
The basic filtration is similar to standard pitchers, but alkaline pitchers take the process to another level enriching your water with healthy minerals and increasing its pH.
But do they really work? We’ll explore below.
So, here is our guide answering the question, do alkaline water pitchers work?
- Yes, alkaline water pitchers do work.
- Most alkaline water pitchers solve aesthetic water issues and are even effective at removing harmful contaminants.
- They also alkalize the water and add many beneficial minerals into it.
What Are Alkaline Water Pitchers?
In a sense, alkaline pitchers are like specialized water filter pitchers.
The difference lies in the fact that they hold additional minerals and ceramic balls in their filter cartridges.
So, when they purify water, they also enrich it with healthy minerals and make it more alkaline.
Which water pH level is realistic? Generally between 8.0 and 10.0. Nonetheless, this range varies depending on your water’s pH concentration before the treatment process.
Do Alkaline Water Pitchers Really Work?
Here is how alkaline water filter pitchers work:
- First off, you add plain tap or well water into one.
- Next, the water enters the filter cartridge due to gravity force.
- The water is purified for several water contaminants depending on the type of filter media used. This can range from chlorine/chloramine and other chemicals to heavy metals like lead and chromium.
- Meanwhile, some of the healthy minerals dissolve into the water.
- Also, the ceramic balls cause chemical reactions. In the end, the water holds more hydroxide ions than before.
- As the lower reservoir collects the purified, mineralized alkaline water, you can pour it and drink up.
What type of minerals the pitcher adds to your water is yet another question. Typically, it differs from model to model. However, the common minerals include calcium, potassium, and magnesium
Ceramic ball types used most often include tourmaline, far infrared, and germanium.
You can expect water pH levels to rise by 1.5 to 2.0 points.
The effectiveness of mineralization and alkalinization is limited under certain conditions.
Consider your water is already saturated with minerals as is often the case with hard water, and water pH is also quite high.
Here, an alkaline filter pitcher won’t have much of an effect.
We don’t consider this a disadvantage, though. Why? Because it avoids an excess amount of mineral content and drinking water that is too alkaline for consumption.
How Can I Use an Alkaline Water Filter Pitcher?
You can use an alkaline water filter pitcher just like you would use any standard filter pitcher:
- Fill unfiltered water into the upper reservoir.
- Wait several minutes for enough water to trickle into the bottom storage.
- Pour freshly filtered water into a glass and enjoy.
Health and Other Benefits of Alkaline Filter Pitchers
Alkaline pitchers offer benefits similar to conventional water filter pitchers. These include:
- Safe and healthy drinking water that tastes great
- Ease of use
- An excellent alternative to expensive and eco-unfriendly bottled water
And they add something on top!
- If your water tastes bland because of mineral deficiency, adding minerals to it will undoubtedly improve its taste.
- What’s more, you’ll be able to meet your daily mineral intake much easier.
That said, not enough research proves the health benefits of drinking alkaline water, and it might be another marketing strategy.
As far as we know, no credible sources outline the health benefits of drinking water with increased pH.
However, some alkaline filter pitcher brands are optimistic about the health benefits of the products they sell. Read more below.
Alkaline pitcher companies claim that their products form micro-clusters of your water. This makes water penetration in cells easier, enhancing your overall health and contributing to better hydration.
Consequently, you experience improved mental sharpness and feel more energetic.
Alkaline pitchers boosting immunity is yet another popular claim made by companies.
They believe that alkaline water has high ORP (Oxidation Reduction Potential). Simply put, it is high in antioxidants.
Drinking highly antioxidant water reduces free radicals, for a better-functioning immune system.
Lastly, alkaline water enhances metabolic activity by detoxing your body – according to vendors selling alkaline water filter pitchers.
People drinking such water are said to live better and longer than someone drinking regular, unfiltered, de-mineralized water that doesn’t help your metabolism.
Alkaline water is generally safe to drink. However, there could be possible drawbacks. For example, drinking alkaline water regularly for extended periods reduces stomach acidity levels.
The acid in your stomach targets unwanted bacteria and other pathogens and stops them from entering your blood. So, reduced acidity will naturally make your body vulnerable to those microorganisms.
Moreover, alkaline water intake can also lead to other gastrointestinal issues and skin irritation.
Additionally, excess alkaline drinking water levels can mess with your body’s normal pH and cause metabolic alkalosis. A few possible symptoms you might experience include:
- Muscle twitching
Further, alkalosis can lower free calcium levels in your body, negatively affecting bone health.
All in all, if you plan to purchase an alkaline water filter pitcher, it’s best to consult a physician first and follow the advice. As long as your water doesn’t contain minerals above the recommended levels, you should be safe for the most part.
Alkaline water filter pitchers remove contaminants and increase mineral content and water pH.
They work just like regular filter pitchers with a filter element at their center.
Aside from clean and safe drinking water, the health benefits associated with using alkaline pitchers are better hydration, slowed aging and an improved immunity.
Potential disadvantages: Overconsumption of alkaline water possibly leading to headache, vomiting and other issues.
- Best Water Filter Pitcher: 8 Reviews + Buyer’s Guide 2023
- Bottled Water vs Water Filter Pitchers
- Is it Safe to Use a Water Filter Pitcher?
- 8 Best Filter Pitchers for Well Water
Jason is the founder of Water Masterz and head of content creation. After six years in the industry, he has tremendous knowledge and first-hand experience on all things related to water treatment.
His credo: Not a single American should have to drink unhealthy water at home.