Disclaimer: This page may contain affiliate links. If you buy a product or service through an affiliate link, we may earn a commission but at no additional cost to you. You can view our full affiliate disclosure here.
This product review features the Eddy Electronic Water Descaler.
Manufactured by Eddy Water Descalers, the Eddy Electronic Water Descaler is among the notable alternatives to salt-based water softeners.
Eddy Water Descalers was one of the first companies founded with the purpose of manufacturing products that help solve the hard water problem of Londoners. The Eddy ED1503P was the company’s debut product, which was sold all over the UK.
Later, the company expanded to the US and different parts of Europe. Today, its descalers are considered superior to most competitors.
The Eddy descaler, unlike the sodium used by water softeners, utilizes electromagnetic waves to condition water. To put it simply, it lowers the ‘scaliness’ of magnesium and calcium in hard water.
Since these minerals harden water, they build up on the inside of pipes, on laundry, electric appliances, and dishes. On top of that, they lower the plumbing’s lifespan and hinder the flow of water.
Luckily, the Eddy electronic water descaler is a solution to this problem. If you need something to condition your water but want to avoid excess salt consumption – that’s a by-product of salt-based water softening, this descaler should be your go-to.
- 1 Eddy Electronic Water Descaler Review – Main Specs
- 2 Highlights
- 3 Pros
- 4 Cons
- 5 Installation
- 6 Maintenance
- 7 What’s Included
- 8 Eddy Water Descaler Review – Conclusion
Eddy Electronic Water Descaler Review – Main Specs
- For tap water and well water (might require additional filtration) of up to 20 grains per gallon hardness
- Water softener/conditioner type: Tankless water descaler
- Flow rate: –
- Pipe material: All except galvanized and iron
- Maximum recommend pipe diameter: 1.5 inches
At the beginning of our Eddy electronic water descaler review, a few highlights:
No water softener using salt can compete with the Eddy water descaler in terms of price.
Eco-Friendly Water Conditioning Process
With no regeneration required, no salt will be released into the environment and no water will be wasted.
Unlike operating a regular water softener, using the Eddy there are no ongoing expenses for salt.
You can have the unit set up and ready within 5 minutes.
12-Month Return Policy & Lifetime Warranty
You can return the system within 12 months after purchase for a refund. The warranty is effective throughout the product’s entire lifetime.
- The Eddy electronic water descaler creates electromagnetic waves using two coils. As water comes from your supply line, the adhesion power of the minerals is weakened by the electromagnetic force, making it easier for them to be flushed away.
- Additionally, the lack of adhesiveness also prevents scale from building up on clothes, hair, fixtures, and electric appliances.
- The water descaler is ideal for all pipe types, except those with a galvanized or iron build. However, as far as the water type is concerned, the descaler does a perfect job of conditioning both tap and well water.
- Previously, Eddy electronic water descalers were three-coil units. However, the model was upgraded to a two-coil system in 2003 since this tends to be more space-saving and efficient.
- The water descaler is eco-friendly, which means you’re not adding any salt to your water or the environment. Additionally, regeneration cycles in salt-based water softeners require excessive amounts of salt and water. On the flip side, the Eddy electronic water descaler prevents this wastage.
- It also saves you a lot of money since you do not have to buy salt bags every now and then. Instead, the unit simply uses electromagnetic currents, eliminating the need for brine.
- More importantly, the system much more affordable than salt-based water softeners despite having somewhat similar functionality.
- Since the descaler does not remove any minerals from water, it ensures the retention of healthy nutrients. As a result, you can get your share of healthy minerals – such as those for teeth health – from water.
- The Eddy gives significant results for water hardness of 20 grains per gallon or below. Therefore, it’s ideal for most small to moderate-sized homes with regular hard water levels.
- Made in the UK, the Eddy electronic water descaler is up to UK standards. Moreover, it meets the requirement set by the FCC for US and European standards.
- The company offers a year-long money-back guarantee. So, if you are not satisfied with Eddy water descaler in the first 12 months of use, you can return it to get a refund on your purchase.
- Plus, the company gives a lifetime replacement and repair warranty. So, you’re sorted for years to come.
- Since it’s a water descaler, users should keep in mind that it will never be as effective as a water softener. While it only conditions water, softeners actually remove the scale from water. Therefore, the Eddy might not work for everyone.
The Eddy electronic water descaler is easy to install since there’s no need for plumbing. If you know your way around tools, you should be able to put this descaler together in no time.
However, keep in mind not to install it outdoors since it’s not waterproof.
Since it has two circuits, you can install it on two different pipes. For instance, if you have a separate hot and cold water line, the descaler can be installed accordingly.
Follow the steps given below to install:
- The package contains two cables. Look for them and wind them around the supply pipe for cold water. You can wind it in any direction you want. Also, it can be horizontal or vertical – whichever way is easier for you.
- Mount the system onto a wall using the adhesive pads. Make sure the area is not exposed to rain.
- Consult the instructions manual and plug in the yellow and red cables into the unit accordingly.
- Plug the unit into the power supply and make sure all lights are on.
If you’re still not certain how to install the water conditioning system, follow the instructions in this video:
Although we could not find any instruction manual online or on the company’s website, you’ll find one in the package. So, follow the guidelines there.
Part of the reason most people rave about the Eddy water descaler is the absence of any programming. You just need to fit it in place and turn it on – that’s it.
Like programming, there’s no maintenance required. Just make sure you keep the unit away from direct water exposure, and you’re good to go.
Also, if you’re going away for vacation or won’t be home for the weekend, turn the water descaler off to save electricity and money.
The package includes the following components:
- Water descaling unit
- Two cables
- Adhesive pads
Eddy Water Descaler Review – Conclusion
One of the major things that attract homeowners to the Eddy electronic water descaler is its affordable price. Ironically, that’s also one of the characteristics that make people slightly skeptical of the product.
However, we’re here to clear your confusion. The Eddy descaler lives up to the company’s claims and conditions the water in your home at a considerable speed.
Although it can’t replace the mineral-removing functionality of a water softener, it’s a practical alternative for people who are on a tight budget or want to avoid the excessive presence of salt in drinking water.
If you have questions about our Eddy descaler review please leave a comment below!
- Salt Based Water Softeners 2021 Reviews + Comparison
- Top Rated Salt-Free Water Softeners
- List of the Best Water Softeners for Well Water Treatment
-  https://www.waterboards.ca.gov/water_issues/programs/grants_loans/water_recycling/research/ion_exchange_water_softeners.pdf
Lisa has joined the Water Masterz team as a contributing writer. She combines two decades of digital marketing experience with a passion for healthy living.
Lisa’s favorite leisure activities are meeting new people, learning new stuff, and yoga.