Disclaimer: This page may contain affiliate links. If you buy a product or service through an affiliate link, we may earn a commission but at no additional cost to you. You can view our full affiliate disclosure here.
This product review features the NU Aqua 3-stage whole house water filtration system.
The NU Aqua is a sturdy and decent unit that provides safe and pure water all-around your home or office. If you are sick of having weird-tasting coffee, or your skin feels extra dry after a shower, it’s time to make a switch from regular tap water.
The system effectively removes sediment, chlorine, herbicides, VOCs, insecticides and more. As a result, your water is so pure it tastes, smells, looks and feels spring fresh.
When you consider how much money you save over the years that would otherwise be spent on bottled water and fixing clogged water appliances, the NU Aqua whole house water filter is a steal. Keep reading if you want to know more about how the system can benefit you and your family.
- 1 NU Aqua Whole House Filter Review – Main Specs
- 2 Highlights
- 3 Pros
- 4 Cons
- 5 Installation
- 6 Maintenance
- 7 What’s Included
- 8 NU Aqua Review – Conclusion & Best For
NU Aqua Whole House Filter Review – Main Specs
- Filter stages: 3
- Filtration capacity: 100,000 gallons
- Water flow rate: 15 gallons per minute (up to 7 bathrooms)
- Estimated filter replacement cost per year: $100-150
- Filter cartridge size: 20” x 4.5” (Big Blue)
At the beginning of our NU Aqua whole house water filter review, a few highlights:
No doubt, the system does a great job at cleaning and purifying your water. Here are the nitty-gritty details about each stage of filtration that make the magic happen.
Please note that the system cannot remove microorganisms from water. Therefore, if you’re using raw well water, we suggest you look into other options.
Apart from that, the appliance is excellent for municipal chlorinated water.
Stage 1: Sediment Filter
The first stage is a polypropylene media filter that traps sediment down to 5 microns. For reference, your hair is approximately 70 microns in size. So you can imagine how meticulous the filtration is.
Once your water has passed through the filter, it’s free of rust, silt, insect parts, and debris.
The first stage is highly crucial as it prevents the subsequent filters from choking too soon. It also protects your water-based appliances that suffer due to heavy debris.
Stage 2: Granular Activated Carbon Filter
The second stage is the GAC filter which works hard to absorb hundreds of contaminants, including chlorine, VOCs, pesticides, insecticides, lead, benzene and industrial pollutants.
Stage 3: Carbon Block Filter
The third stage uses a carbon block filter, thereby ensuring thorough filtration of harmful contaminants, including cyst, left untouched to this point. Here your water gets a final treatment as the media block absorbs odors, tastes and toxic chemicals known to cause cancer.
Pressure gauges and pressure release buttons simplify filter monitoring and maintenance.
Compared to other whole house water filter, this system is one of the easier ones to hook up.
The company offers a 100% money-back guarantee for the first six months after purchase. If you’re not happy, return the unit and get refunded!
- The entire unit is constructed using high-grade industrial materials tested for leakages, pressure changes, durability and quality. As a result, you get optimum performance at a great price.
- Thanks to large cartridges – 4.5×20 inches also known as Big Blue – the unit can filter 100,000 gallons before needing servicing. Not to mention the standard cartridge size makes it easy to find reasonable replacements from other brands.
- The system can filter 15 gpm, making it suitable for use all over the house without comprising water pressure. It’s suitable for small or large families having multiple bathrooms and water-based appliances.
- We love the pressure gauges since they make it extremely easy to check system performance and get alerted in case of malfunction. If any of the gauges shows high fluctuations before and after any filter stage, it’s time for a replacement. If it shows abnormal pressure, then the cartridge is faulty.
- Similarly, the pressure release option saves the day (literally!) when it’s time for cartridge replacement.
- We love that the NU Aqua water filtration system is simple to install. It saves you installation expenses and unwanted hassle.
- Brownie points for the 3-year manufacturer warranty that covers everything. Wait, there’s more! If you don’t like the unit, NU Aqua provides you with a 100% money-back offer valid for six months.
- Finally, NU Aqua offers lifetime support in case you have any troubles. So you can make your purchase with peace of mind.
- While we love so many features of the NU Aqua whole house water filter, the missing bypass valve is quite a turn-off. For us, it’s an essential feature that has been omitted from the unit. Nevertheless, we strongly recommend you install one on your own for easy maintenance.
- Few unhappy customers complained of poor support when they needed replacements, and others commented that the 2nd filter malfunctioned.
- We would love to see some NSF certifications to see that the unit has passed thorough testing.
The NU Aqua 3-stage whole house water filtration system comes pre-assembled, and all you need to do is hook up the lines. Now, that might not be everyone’s piece of cake, especially if you have no idea about plumbing and water supply.
However, if you are comfortable with plumbing tools and making a few changes in the pipelines, you can go ahead.
NU Aqua does not provide a video guide explaining how to install its big blue whole house water filter. But other companies do! Here is one for a system similar to the NU Aqua filter:
As mentioned before, the pressure gauges, pressure release buttons, and twistable cartridges make maintenance relatively effortless.
Let’s outline how to go about it. To begin with, the filters last about six months or 100,000 gallons. Thereafter they may need a replacement. So when you feel a drop in water pressure around the house, check the pressure gauges on the unit.
Using the bypass valve (if you have installed it), turn off the water supply. Then, twist open the housing and remove the cartridge. Too tight? Use the red button on the top to release pressure. Periodically, clean the housing with soap and water to prevent dirt accumulation.
Each filter costs between $15 and $25. Altogether, that’s pretty reasonable considering you need bi-annual replacements.
Here are the contents of the package. Please note that the package does not include a bypass valve. All connections are 1“ NPT.
- Filter system
- 3x filter cartridges
- Filter housing wrench
- Pre-assembled frame with mounting bracket
NU Aqua Review – Conclusion & Best For
All in all, NU Aqua is a trustable brand with thousands of satisfied customers. No doubt, the company uses tried and tested technology and in-house performance checking to ensure the water filters are up to the mark.
So, if you are in search of a standard whole house filtration system that’s easy to install, maintain and serves you long, we recommend the NU Aqua 3-stage unit.
The cherry on top: Economical price and easy maintenance!
If you have questions about our NU Aqua review please leave a comment below!
Rory has joined the Water Masterz team as a contributing writer. He has covered all sorts of topics in the last several years.
Outside of his writing work, Rory enjoys photographing the Irish landscape and making music!