Disclaimer: This page may contain affiliate links. If you buy a product or service through an affiliate link, we may earn a commission but at no additional cost to you. You can view our full affiliate disclosure here.
This product review features the NuvoH2O DPHB Home salt-free water softener.
The NuvoH2O DPHB Home is a water conditioner or descaler that uses a citrus-based technology to condition water around your house. While salt-based water softeners will always function far more effectively, a conditioner or (salt-free) system is comparatively eco-friendly and easier to use.
Nevertheless, the Nuvo salt-free water conditioner only works on hard water having a pH level of 7.2 or more. If your water supply has a pH below 7.2, we advise you to look into other options.
The system requires no electrical power or salt to treat hard water. Instead, it works by crystallizing calcium in your water, minimizing scale buildup in the plumbing around your house. It also elongates the life of your water heater and other water-based appliances.
Let’s scratch beneath the surface to learn more about the NuvoH2O home softener system. Thankfully, this is the only review you will need to decide if it’s worth your while.
NuvoH2O Review – Mains Specs
- For tap water
- Required water pH: >7.2
- Water softener type: Salt-free (Chelation using citric acid)
- Capacity: 35,000 gallons
- Water flow: 12-15 gallons per minute
At the beginning of our NuvoH2O review, a few highlights:
How Does the Salt-Free Water Conditioner Work?
Salt-free water softening systems may deliver some results you also get with a traditional water softener, but they utilize different technologies.
To put it in simple terms, the NuvoH2O Home will not remove hardness-causing minerals, like calcium and magnesium, from your water. Instead, it uses a chelating agent to bind the calcium and magnesium ions, so they are unable to form deposits.
The chelating agent is citric acid, which is approved by the Food and Drug Administration.
To further clarify, the unit:
- Protects your water-based appliances, especially the water heater, from scaling.
- Improves the efficiency of all appliances by removing existing scale build-up.
No Water Waste
Unlike salt-based water softeners, salt-free systems don’t waste any water.
The conditioning process doesn’t even require salt. No added sodium is healthier for you and the environment.
If you don’t like your purchase, you can send back the Nuvo within 90 days after purchase for a full refund.
Here are a few benefits of the NuvoH2O Home salt-free water softener.
- If you’ve ever used a salt-based water softener in the past, or know someone who has, you’d know how softened water can feel a bit slimy. With a salt-free system, like the NuvoH2O, you can wave goodbye to this dreadful problem. Instead, your water will feel exactly like it should: pristine and, you know, natural!
- Moreover, the conditioned water is suitable for drinking and cooking too. This is because the process does not include or exclude salt or any minerals in your water.
- It has been certified to prevent up to 98% of scale buildup.
- Unlike salt-based softeners that waste approximately 150 gallons of water per week for regeneration and backwashing, a salt-free system is highly water efficient. Zero waste!
- Forget the woes of lugging around heavy bags of salt around the house, especially down the stairs in your basement. You save money, time, and avoid hassle!
- The compact unit requires relatively less space for installation. If you are short on space, the compact size makes all the difference.
- A 90-day money-back guarantee ensures you can make your purchases with an ease of mind. It also shows how confident the manufacturer is in his product.
- Additionally, a five-year limited warranty means you are safe from unwanted repair costs or malfunctioning for quite some time.
- We also love that the unit has achieved NSF-169 certification. This NSF standard signifies the unit fulfills the requirements for materials, designs, performance, and construction for general types of equipment. Note that salt-free water softeners are never certified by NSF for their filtration capacities.
- Thanks to their 25-year experience in the field, the Nuvo customer service staff is highly trained, informed and well-equipped.
While we don’t idolize salt-free water softeners, there are a few other issues with the Nuvo unit that need to be addressed.
- For starters, it is unsuitable for private well owners or those with a pH level below 7.2.
- Many customers returned their units because they experienced a visible bluish tinge in their water. We agree this is quite alarming, but there is an explanation for this phenomenon. It happens when residual air and copper dioxide mix with your water supply. While it looks alarming, it poses no health risks.
- The plastic head can expand in high heat, rendering the unit useless.
- Similarly, many customers have complained of the low quality of the plastic head in the unit.
- Many consumers downright rejected the product since they failed to see any difference in their water quality. Therefore, we would advise you to consult your local plumber before deciding if the unit will work for your particular water supply.
- The price seems far off.
Installation is quick, painless, and easily manageable for do-it-yourselfers. Begin by selecting an appropriate space and hire a plumber if you are scared of botching things up. Consider these main points.
- The unit must be installed vertically.
- The unit should be out of freezing temperatures or direct sunlight, or else the warranty will be void.
- It is essential to consider that over-tightening the fittings will lead to premature failure of the system.
Here is a basic outline to help you set up the system.
- Before installing any water filtration system or softener, turn off your main water supply.
- Next, find a spot before the water heater and where water enters your home.
- Insert the cartridge in the housing, making sure the two bypass valves are on the top.
- Align the cartridge, so the inlet port faces the pipeline where water enters your house, and the outlet port faces where the water goes back to the plumbing.
- Now attach the wall mounting panel horizontally with screws.
- Next up, attach the c-bracket to the panel securely.
- Remove the housing head from the cartridge by rotating it towards the left.
- Attach the housing head to the panel, aligning them with the holes in the c-bracket. Use plumber’s tape to help with insulation.
- Now connect the panels to the pipelines and screw on tightly using a wrench.
- Then check the housing and see whether the O-ring sits tightly in place. This step is essential to avoid leakages.
- Finally, slide the housing body to the head and turn the unit to softening position.
- Turn on the water supply and flush the system for at least an hour before usage.
Here is a video to guide you through the process.
Thankfully, the NuvoH2O Home is easy to maintain because of the sleek design and inbuilt bypass valve. Turn the unit to bypass and twist open the housing to insert a new citric acid cartridge.
In a two-person household with a standard water hardness level, you must replace the cartridge every 6 months. If you notice the signs of hard water earlier, it is advisable to replace the cartridge more frequently.
- The Nuvo H2O home system with housings and one cartridge
- Mounting panel
- Housing wrench
- User manual
NuvoH2O Home System Water Softener Review – Conclusion
Some people rave about the unit, while others have deemed it a ‘waste of money.’ Thereby our understanding tells us the unit is far from perfect. Its performance varies greatly depending on the quality of water in your household and the piping materials used. And then there is the price…
Therefore, we would advise you to look into tried and tested salt-based water softeners to eliminate hard water problems.
If you have questions about our NuvoH2O Home System water softener review please leave a comment below!
- NuvoH2O Review: DPMB Manor Salt-Free Water Softener System
- Check the Best Salt-Free Softeners in 2022
Lisa has joined the Water Masterz team as a contributing writer. She combines two decades of digital marketing experience with a passion for healthy living.
Lisa’s favorite leisure activities are meeting new people, learning new stuff, and yoga.