Disclaimer: This page may contain affiliate links. If you buy a product or service through an affiliate link, we may earn a commission but at no additional cost to you. You can view our full affiliate disclosure here.
This product review features the Pelican PC1000 whole house water filter.
Pentair’s Pelican PC1000 whole house water filtration system is a cost-effective, eco-friendly and efficient unit that reduces up to 97% chlorine (and chloramine) from your water without consuming electricity or wasting water.
Equally essential to mention is the state-of-the-art three-stage filtration process, which removes sediment, chemicals and many heavy metals polluting your water. Say hello to water that tastes, smells and looks just like water and nothing else.
Let’s dive right into the system’s specifications, pros and cons so you can make an informed decision.
- 1 Pelican PC1000 Whole House Water Filter Review – Main Specs
- 2 Highlights
- 3 Pros
- 4 Cons
- 5 Installation
- 6 Maintenance
- 7 What’s Included
- 8 Pelican PC1000 Review – Conclusion & Best For
Pelican PC1000 Whole House Water Filter Review – Main Specs
- Filtration capacity: >1,000,000 gallons of filtered water
- Sediment filter service life: 6-9 months
- NSF: 42, 61
- Rated service flow rate: 12 gallons per minute (1-6 bathrooms)
- Tank width: 11″
- Water pressure: 25-80 psi
At the beginning of our Pelican PC1000 review, a few highlights:
The sole purpose of a water filtration system is to remove harmful contaminants, which can cause multiple health problems for your family. But each system works in a different way.
- As for the Pelican PC1000, first in line is a 5-micron sediment filter. This filter traps large particles of debris or sand etc. to limit them from jamming the following filters.
- Next, your water passes through catalytic granular activated carbon. Catalytic GAC is a reliable and efficient option to remove chlorine, chloramine, herbicides, pesticides, pharmaceuticals, and industrial pollutants, along with many heavy metals. Thus, it improves the taste and smell of water, and also makes it much healthier to drink.
- Finally, the last stage is a patented media guard constructed with a copper-zinc alloy. This filter medium is effective at removing chlorine, hydrogen sulfide, lead and various other heavy metals. This last filter also prevents the growth of harmful bacteria and algae that may contaminate your water.
The filter is NSF-certified for 96.6% reduction of chlorine taste and smell.
1+ Million Gallons Filtered
According to Pentair, chlorine and chloramine will be removed from your water to below the minimum detection level for more than 1 million gallons of filtered water.
Ideal for Large Homes
With 12 gpm service flow rate and 15 peak flow you will never run out of filtered water.
Money-Back Guarantee + Extended Warranty
A 90-day money-back guarantee (full refund) and a lifetime warranty provide peace of mind.
- The unit doesn’t require electrical power, saving you energy costs.
- It doesn’t waste any water during the filtration process.
- Since the whole house water filter works at 12 gpm (gallon per minute), it is suitable for use with up to 6 bathrooms for a larger than average-sized household.
- Moreover, the system is covered by a 12-year extended warranty. So you can make the purchase without having to worry about expensive repairs.
- No doubt, the unit lasts you a long time, thanks to the superb engineering and stainless steel construction.
- What we also love about the Pelican PC 1000 is that it’s easy to install and even easier to maintain. Don’t worry about additional installation cost since you can easily manage it yourself.
- In case you don’t like the unit or it doesn’t work for your family, Pentair Water Systems offers you a 90-day money-back guarantee.
- If you aren’t a highly technical person, don’t be intimidated to call customer support for assistance. We appreciate their prompt and trained staff.
While the system has no significant flaws, we would like to point out a few grievances that could be improved.
- We aren’t fans of plastic fittings since they aren’t durable enough. It would be great if Pelican used steel fittings that wouldn’t be prone to wear and tear over time.
- The process of priming the filter media is a little confusing. So, if you are completely naive, you might face trouble with it.
Don’t worry; there isn’t much to do as most of the setup has been already laid out for you.
To make the process even more straightforward, you can opt for an installation kit from Pentair. This set includes all essential pipes and fitting. Refer to a video tutorial for further clarification.
Here is a summary of the installation instructions derived from the official product manual.
- Carbon Soaking and Flushing
- Before you begin, note that the catalytic carbon filter needs to be soaked for 48 hours. The process activates the filtration components. You can use a garden house and the provided hose assembly for this.
- Next, let the system flush for about 30 minutes to remove residue carbon dust prior to installation.
- Now, you need to backflush the system for three minutes. To do so, connect the hose to the outlet side and slowly turn the water on. The backflush ensures that the system resets and the carbon filter settles back to its place.
- Installing the Sediment Filter
- Moving on, unwrap the sediment filter cartridge and insert it back into its filter housing.
- Shut off the main water supply.
- Now identify the site for installing your whole house water filter system. We suggest using a simulated loop since it is the perfect place for the installation of filtration and softener systems.
- Attach the sediment filter cover to the mounting bracket and install it to the wall.
- Screw on the filter housing and tighten with the filter wrench.
- Installing the Whole House Water Filter Tank
- Pop the bypass valve on the carbon filter and use the fittings provided in the installation kit to set up the system.
- Connect the incoming water supply from the sediment filter to the inlet side of the bypass. Do the same for the outgoing water supply/outlet side.
- Completing the Installation
- Turn the water supply back on and check for leaks.
As with all other whole house water filtration systems, regular maintenance is a significant factor that helps the Pelican PC1000 achieve smooth performance.
The sediment filter needs replacement every six months. At the same time, the carbon media will last you for a whopping five years before demanding your attention. It helps to know that a replacement sediment filter costs $20, while the carbon media can be priced up to $300.
Needless to say, check your system if you see any signs of lower water pressure or unusual taste or smell.
Replacing the sediment filters is as easy as ABC. Use the bypass valves to turn off the unit and easily remove the clogged cartridges.
- Product manual
- Sediment pre-filter housing with mounting hardware
- Filter housing wrench
- 5-micron sediment filter
- Catalytic carbon media tank
- Bypass valve
- Extras including O-rings and connectors
Pelican PC1000 Review – Conclusion & Best For
Thanks to the sophisticated three-stage filtration, we think the Pentair Pelican PC1000 is a comprehensive whole house water filter. Not to mention, NSF certifications (42 and 61) coupled with a 12-year long limited warranty places the system ahead of the game.
It’s best if you are looking for a low-cost and eco-friendly filtration system that runs smoothly, so check this bad boy out. Chances are, you won’t be disappointed!
If you have questions about our Pelican PC1000 whole house water filter review please leave a comment below!
- Whole House Water Filter System Reviews and Comparison
- Pelican PSE1800 Review: Whole House Water Filter and Salt-Free Water Softener
-  https://wcponline.com/2011/03/24/catalytic-activated-carbons-for-dechlorination-and-dechloramination/
Lisa has joined the Water Masterz team as a contributing writer. She combines two decades of digital marketing experience with a passion for healthy living.
Lisa’s favorite leisure activities are meeting new people, learning new stuff, and yoga.