Disclaimer: This page may contain affiliate links. If you buy a product or service through an affiliate link, we may earn a commission but at no additional cost to you. You can view our full affiliate disclosure here.
This product review features the ScaleBlaster SB-75 electronic water descaler.
If you are tired of white scaling on faucets, mineral residue on glasses and dishes, and excessive usage of soaps and detergents, you are a victim of hard water.
While traditional salt-based water softeners do an excellent job at solving these problems, they are far from eco-friendly. On the other hand, the ScaleBlaster SB-75, an electronic computerized water conditioner, gets rid of hard water damages without compromising the environment.
The good news is, the unit uses no salt or chemicals to treat your water. But are we fans? Keep reading to find out.
ScaleBlaster SB-75 Review – Main Specs
- For tap water and well water (might require additional filtration) of up to 19 grains per gallon hardness
- Water softener/conditioner type: Tankless water descaler
- Flow rate: –
- Pipe material: All except galvanized and iron
- Maximum recommended pipe diameter: 1.25 inches
At the beginning of our ScaleBlaster SB-75 review, a few highlights:
How Does it Work?
The ScaleBlaster SB-75 is not like any regular water softener. It conditions water without the help of salt and does not remove any hard water minerals either.
The way the system works is through a wave current induced into the water line. Calcium and other minerals precipitate or form large crystals. Both forms are less likely to form scale.
On top of that, existing limescale buildup dissolves with time as it gets in contact with the conditioned water.
No Salt and Without Waste
Like I said, the process is salt-free and because there is no softening resin, there is no need for regeneration. You save on both.
A Real Bargain!
If you have done your research you know that salt-based water softeners can be expensive. Not so with the ScaleBlaster. It’s a real bargain!
No Installation, No Maintenance
The SB-75 does not require professional installation. All you need to do is wrap the wires around the incoming water supply line. How about maintenance? The system takes care of itself.
- The unit does not require salt, chemicals, filter changes, or any sort of maintenance. The only thing you need is access to a 100-120v electrical source. Since it is 100% maintenance-free, that’s downright convenient!
- The unit is priced much lower than regular water softener systems on the market. Coupled with no maintenance costs, the unit is a steal.
- Quick and easy installation is another winning factor.
- Not only does the electronic device prevent scale from forming deposits, but it also dissolves already existing deposits in three months. That’s quite a thing!
- Not to forget, the ScaleBlaster SB-75 prolongs the life of your water-based appliances and saves you costly repair costs.
- The unit is UL certified for safety. Keep in mind this applies to the unit, not for the water conditioned through it.
- A major benefit of salt-less softening systems is that no sodium or potassium is washed into groundwater, thus eliminating unwanted pollution.
- You can claim a full refund within 90 days from Clearwater Enviro Technologies if the product does not work for you. Additionally, a three-year extendable warranty covers any repairing expenses.
- The unit can only be used with non-magnetic pipe types. So, if you have plumbing that uses anything other than PVX, PEX, or copper material, it simply won’t work. Similarly, the maximum pipe size capacity in diameters is 1¼ inches.
However, the area for installation is only about 8 inches long. Therefore, if you replace the galvanized pipeline with a non magnetic pipe at the installation point, it shall work as desired.
- The Scale Blaster SB-75 works purely using magnetic power to condition your water. But the truth is, there is no NSF certification to prove it works. Therefore, many buyers have complained that electromagnetic water conditioning (SB-75) simply did not work for them.
- Another problem that has come to our knowledge is the warranty is not applicable if you buy the unit from Amazon or eBay. The bigger problem is the sellers at Amazon have no clue about it, and they advertise it with a warranty.
- If your water exceeds 19 gpg hardness you need to look for a different softening/conditioning system.
The installation process is tool-free and requires no professional assistance. In other words, the installation is super easy and quick.
With that said, follow the instructions down to the dot to achieve the desired result. The efficiency of the system is greatly affected by the wrapping technique (discussed below).
- The Scale Blaster SB-75 can be installed only indoors. Just make sure it is near the point where water enters your home to protect maximum plumbing. For private well owners, place the box near the pressure tank.
- The unit should be installed only on a cold water pipeline.
- Moreover, it requires a functioning electrical socket nearby.
- Install the power unit in a well-ventilated area.
- It can be installed on a horizontal or vertical pipe.
- It needs at least 12 inches of straight pipe away from elbows, tees, couplings, valves, and curved pipes.
Difficulty level: Easy
Time: One hour maximum
Here is a step-by-step guide illustrating the installation process. Consult your user manual for comprehensive information.
- Using 8 screws (not provided), mount the unit on the wall. It should be located within 5 feet from an electrical outlet and 10 feet away from the pipeline.
- Next, locate the blue signal cable and push it into one of the two terminal holes on the bottom of the unit. These holes are right under the words “TO COIL”.
- Now, use a cable tie to secure the cable to the pipe.
- Wrap the loose end of the cable in any one direction. Make sure it’s tight, does not overlap, and flush against each other. Be very careful since this is a common mistake most people make.
- Consult the manual for the number of wraps depending on your pipeline material.
- If you have copper pipelines, you must wrap the pipe twice but in the same direction as the first.
- Once the pipes are securely wrapped, use another cable tie to secure the edges.
- Route the other end of the cable to the box and trim any excess to avoid loose wiring.
- Insert the cable into the other terminal hole and push it as far as required. Then, gently tug on both wires to ensure they are in place.
- Connect the system to an electrical socket. The green light will appear on the LED screen. The green light will oscillate back and forth, which is a sign that the unit is working.
Still, having trouble? Go through the video for a better understanding.
The ScaleBlaster SB-75 is 100 percent maintenance-free. Just plug in, and it will do all the work.
Here are the contents of the package:
- SB-75 unit
- AC adaptor
- Signal cable
- Nylon cable ties
- Warranty card
- User manual
ScaleBlaster Review – Conclusion
Now is the time to address the elephant in the room, aka electronic descaling. Does it even work, and how far? To be honest, we are not sure. It will address minor issues, but your hard water problems will not vanish magically. In fact, remember this is a water descaler, not a water softener.
Yes, if you are in a rented place or want a temporary quick fix, you can go ahead and buy the ScaleBlaster SB-75. After all, considering the low costs and ease of installation, there’s not much to lose.
But if you are serious about treating your hard water issues and want a permanent long-term fix, we suggest you look into tried and tested salt-based water softeners.
If you have questions about our ScaleBlaster review please leave a comment below!
Lisa has joined the Water Masterz team as a contributing writer. She combines two decades of digital marketing experience with a passion for healthy living.
Lisa’s favorite leisure activities are meeting new people, learning new stuff, and yoga.